Directory

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

New Toy: Olympus Camera [Updated: 2015-10-28]

This past Sunday I bought an Olympus OM-D E-M5 mirror-less digital camera and an Olympus 14-42mm II R lens. This is my gift to myself for leaving ACS Manufacturing. I cannot wait. The lens should be arriving tomorrow and the camera sometime between Friday and next Wednesday... I am very excited.

I had an opportunity to use the camera when I was browsing a local camera shop. Fell in love with it immediately! The mechanics and ease of use is reassuring considering I would be a novice photographer. No more $15 digital camera courtesy of Sears. I am using this as the perfect excuse to get out of my apartment and explore!



UPDATE (2015-10-15)
So...  The lens I purchased through Amazon arrived last week, no scratches.

The camera, however, is an entirely different story.  The camera was scheduled to arrive on Monday, Columbus Day, a national federal holiday.  What this means is that usual postal carrier would not be available to deliver the package.  Instead, USPS has a contract through Amazon to contract the delivery of packages after hours and on federal holidays.  I received a notification on Monday (5:11 PM) that my package had been delivered, I was at home when I received this notification.  I decided to call the customer service about the notification error.  They told me to wait 36 hours for accidental scanning of delivered item, apparently this is a common occurrence

Tuesday evening, I decided to call the USPS for an updated delivery status on my package.  I ended up waiting a little over an hour and a half to speak with a customer service representative.  We started the inquiry process to find the lost package.

Wednesday, I received a phone call from the USPS local branch.  They informed me that the package was delivered, just not to my address...  Yeah.  At this point I wanted more information as to why this happened and what was being done to retrieve my package.

Thursday (Today), I called the USPS local branch and requested an update.  Their mail carriers can only attempt to knock at the door and leave notifications.  The notification was picked up, so I know whoever lives there is aware of the situation.  Apparently, if the individual that resides at that residence opens the package it is considered mail theft which is a federal offense!  A final attempt will be made on Saturday by the USPS Postal Inspector (Federal Agent).  If convicted, the individual could face a fine.  They informed me to contact Amazon and request a refund for lost or damaged item.

Oh boy, this has become a mess.



UPDATE (2015-10-28)
Great news!  The camera arrived October 17th!  I'm writing the update this late because I was able to file a lost/damaged package with Amazon after previous update.  I received a refund for the camera.  Haven't had much time to fully try it out.  I've taken  few pictures of a park nearby.